Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tamarind chutney

When tamarind is on the table, you know it's time for your taste buds to tango. There is a tartness which is best showcased with the addition of sugar.

Though the fruit itself can be found on almost universally, in Minnesota, I've found the shelf product vary from dehydrated pods, packaged and processed chutney, to my personal favorite: packets of slightly dehydrated pulp which look like little brown slabs. 

I haven't seen any tamarind in my local grocery store, but I usually have a stash of the dehydrated pulp in my pantry. I keep my tamarind blocks in the fridge and chip away at them as needed.

Today, I am making some tamarind chutney as a sauce for samosas, kebabs, and sandwiches.


Ingredients

Tamarind pulp 1/2 cup
Water 1 cup
Brown sugar 2 tbsp
1 tbsp roasted cumin
1 tbsp roasted and crushed coriander seeds
1 stick cinnamon
Red chili powder to taste
Salt 1 tsp
Optional: 2 star anise flowers


The first step is to place the tamarind, cover it with water and let it boil until the pulp breaks up. Take off from the heat. I strain the tamarind to remove the seeds, since with pulp, sometimes you get tiny chunks of seeds. If you're using whole tamarind, then you can remove the seeds  and fiber manually and blend the rest for a lovely thick texture.

To roast the cumin and coriander, just place the whole spice in a frying pan and roast until it releases its aroma and changes color. Keep a close eye because it can burn pretty quickly. I crush the spice after roasting. 

Return the tamarind and water to the pot and reheat. To the boiling mixture, and the spices and let it thicken. This chutney keeps and freezes well. Serve it as a dipping sauce or mix it with some yogurt and garbanzo beans for a snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment