Friday, November 2, 2012

Back to FFWD! Mushroom quiche....

I skipped last week's recipe with not a little remorse. It was Eid ul Adha and I felt compelled to spread a gastronomic cornucopia before the small Muslim community that had gathered at our place. After a week of leftovers and Pakistani food, I was only too ready to turn to Dorie's cookbook this week.

Anyway, I have a cold and this is certainly not me at my A game, but there were a few technical errors on my part. Firstly, I forgot that I do not have a tart pan. What I thought was a tart pan turned out to be a springform cheesecake pan. That was glitch number 1. Error no 2:  I forgot the green onions, even though it was smack in the middle on my shopping list. 

The dough was easy to make. I used the dough attachment for my food processor, which didn't work as well I was hoping. So I just used my hands to shape the dough. After 3 plus hours in the fridge, the dough was quite hard. I banged my rolling pin to flatten it. Loved Dorie's tip about rolling it between wax paper.

I used my Pyrex pie pan for the tart, no problem. I will be on the lookout for a good tart pan (suggestions welcome).

Had no problems with the filling. Mine didn't leak any mushroom juice, which is nice.


Anyway, fast forward by 4 hrs, and here is the baked crust, waiting for the filling to be spooned on top. And (gulp!) it broke my heart to see the crack down the side. (And that is the third shortcoming on my part). I had no choice but to continue to bake in the pyrex dish, lest there be a leak. I tried my best to dam it up with mushrooms, so the custard would not leak into it. That was not a problem. The final crust was golden and crisp. And there was no leakage of liquid through the mushroom dam.

  

Anyway, as usual, Dorie's recipes are so very forgiving, and always delicious. I'd like to try variations with beef, chicken. Maybe I'll do a tart with some beef, carrots and peas. Kind of a cross between quiche and shepherd's pie. We'll see..... until  next week.........


5 comments:

  1. Your quiche looks quite fine in a pie crust. That's how my mother always made them. I have often used a springform pan when I was in a kitchen without the removable bottom pan. It works quite well, and you get the look of straight sides. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I have fought with tart crust for years and am only now starting to make peace with it. The good news is that, once it's filled, nobody can see that it had a crack.

    As for tart pans, I recommend one with a removable bottom for easier serving. I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your tart looks wonderful. There was an epidemic of crust fissures this week (including mine), luckily, I had doubled the recipe so could patch a bit. But good for you pressing on. I have made them in pie crusts, and it's also nice because you get a bit thicker filling - so no problem at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quiche looks great! I have glitches all the time, and forgetting crucial ingredients is one of my regulars! I think you recovered wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wonderfully flexible recipe and I think your quiche came out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete