Saturday, October 13, 2012

Crispy, crackly apple almond tart

This is my first attempt at blogging, and my first recipe from Dorie Greenspan's book, Around my French Table.  The recipe is for an apple tart on a phyllo dough base. Sandwiched between the apples and the phyllo dough is a delicious almond cream paste. The recipe is versatile, and you can substitute the apples for pears, figs or plums.

I chilled the almond cream overnight and assembled the rest of the pastry in the morning. I am an enthusiastic, but ultimately an amateur baker.


I was a little concerned about how much apple there was. Next time, I might cut back just a little bit on the apples. Or maybe the slices were too thick.

Regardless, it's a delicious recipe, and the phyllo base holds up great. The finished pastry was brushed with an apricot glaze.





5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club and welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I like your tart. It is very special with the apples going around in a spiral!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! The spiral was completely unintentional :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere! I'm new to cooking with Dorie Greenspan's book too, but it already seems like a lot of fun. You have quite a beautiful tart there - the color is lovely, and I kinda like the amount of apples. I thought mine could have used a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you did an amazing job as a first-timer. Welcome to our FFWD group. I think you will really enjoy getting to know us and cooking and baking with us. I actually love the way your apple slices wound around the square tart filo and almond cream base. I used alot of apple slices also but I think it just made it better. Great job. Well done. Welcome. I'd suggest that you also link into the French Friday with Dorie site and post your Blog Link every week to that site also.

    ReplyDelete